Sunday, March 1, 2009

Caleb's Reflections

We had to go back to the Kampong Glam area twice. Here is the story.
When I tried opening up the pictures after our first trail, the computer screen showed a blank. I reinserted the memory card that contained all the pictures but out came a ‘memory card error’ message. How eventful. I travelled all the way back to sim lim where I purchased the card and sought help from the shop from which I bought the memory card. Nonchalantly they just gave me an ‘I don’t know what to do face, you’re just one in a million’ face.
Thankfully my group mates (don, tao jing and Jason) were willing to go back again with me. Hence our double take. Putting things in perspective the second trail to the very same places got me more familiarized with the district and its history. In fact we took more pictures and ‘explored’ the area further. We even had a chance to speak to a helper from the Sultan Mosque who presented us with information we couldn’t find during our first trip.
While the National Heritage Centre has been instrumental in preserving the history of historical places like Kampong Glam, it can do more in maintaining the tidiness, to a certain extent, of certain areas. For instance, the Kubor cemetery is rather unkempt, and the ‘tombs of the Malayan princes’ should be maintained also. The pictures show that it is quite uncombed, and some of the tombs are half sunken.

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment