Sunday, March 1, 2009

Jason's Reflections

The Heritage Trail has been an insightful trip. Our group was assigned to Kampong Glam, an area in Singapore I’ve never been to in my 22 years! It was heartwarming to be greeted with rows of shop houses and the tall standing Sultan Mosque upon our arrival. Really, it was as if we had taken a step back into the past, where our pace of life was not as hectic. Kampong Glam was given conservation status on 7 July 1989. The shop houses and particularly The Istana Kampong Glam were kept in pristine condition.

The Malay Heritage Centre provided me with the background knowledge of Kampong Glam. It was worth every cent of the ticket. We also met a group of primary school students on their history trip and I envisioned myself bringing my class here next time. As we walked down the streets of Kampong Glam, I had a glimpse of the traditional shops of Malay heritage selling textiles and perfume oils. Though I won’t be buying these in the near future, it was interesting to know more about the materials used by our Malay friends.

The 4 hours spent at Kampong Glam was enriching for me. I will definitely go back with my family and friends and share with them what I have learnt on my heritage trail. I feel that the National Heritage Board has done a good job in preserving these areas. Future generations should be exposed to the rich heritage of the 3 major races in Singapore, and to appreciate the humble place where our ancestors made a living and toll their lives. Anyone up for a trip to Chinatown and Little India?

Jason Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment