Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tao Jing's Reflections

It was an eye opener for me during this Heritage trail to Kampong Glam and I truly enjoyed the trip. Firstly, though I hang out often with my friends at Arab Street, Haji Lane, I was not aware of the rich historical meaning of the area. The shop houses selling artifacts, carpets, the tea I sipped and the sheesha available in most cafes are deeply influenced by the Middle East culture (The Arabs) but are mainly of a commercial value now.
When I start noticing the surroundings, I now see the information boards explaining the historical background and the Sultan Mosque that is standing tall in the area. I think it’s critical that we continue to spread this interest in the history and heritage of our country to the people around us. As such, at the first instance, I shared with my “Arab Street” buddies on how we were visiting a heritage site every weekend. I am certain that all these heritage meanings will be lost if we do not promote them.
I always wonder when we go to the movies, beaches and popular restaurants at the weekends, why can’t we bring out families and friends to the heritage places. There bound to be authentic food and “exotic” sights to look out for too.
Secondly, in this time that our focus is on the “Singaporean” identity; our shared History, we neglect the notion that the effort to understand the culture of different races may be the key to appreciate our multi racial society. Hence, I am grateful for this opportunity to appreciate my fellow Malay friends at a deeper level.

Tao Jing

No comments:

Post a Comment